Here is an interesting thought:
Can the average person be making money on the internet if they actually tried?
I've been online since 2007 and one of the common things I've seen that relates to online marketing is that people expect to be given the world without working for it.
I'm not saying everyone but when you have gone through literally thousands of people looking to make money there is a common theme….
Until I started to peel back the layers to see why this is.
Do you want to be Average or do you want to be making money on the internet as a career?
See there is the difference.
Most people come into internet marketing, like myself, to do it on the side and not take it seriously.
We are all busy, we have kids, a job, and a life.
We don't want to have yet ANOTHER stress point that we need to learn or be GOOD at.
But let's fast forward to what is possible on a long term focused effort…
Making Money On The Internet
Below is commissions from one of my affiliates. You can see the real time affiliate income disclosure where I am the #1 income earner doing it part time. Income Disclosure
Now I wanted to link to the income disclosures because I wanted to dive into why I have attracted and put so many people who just WANT stuff for free vs people who are looking for a career change or having the ability to change their financial situation part time.
You see…. making money on the internet is not a lottery type of hobby.
This isn't like scratching lottery tickets in hopes of winning big. The majority of lottery winners win it and lose it… why?
It's the mindset they have going into making that money.
Let's think of it like this.
-If the average person your talking to is used to having the government taking care of them
-If the average person is used to working an hourly job less than say …. $25/hr
-If the average person you market to is NOT saving for their retirement
-If the average person you are talking to is living pay check to pay check
This is just an example.
What I'm getting at is depending on HOW You market your business there is going to be long term effects to how your business grows long term.
If you continue to market your affiliate income streams to making money on the internet to people who are NOT used to hard work for long periods of time…. how can you expect they work a BUSINESS long term?
Think about it….
If you are marketing to hungry tech savy college kids who are looking to supplement their college allowances vs someone who works fast food and thinks the world sucks cause the most they will ever earn is $10/hr.
Pure affiliate marketing (selling services and goods) especially online should be targeted to those your want a direct result from.
- If your retailing a ONE time commissionable item you don't really care WHO you sell to as long as they buy.
- If your retailing a continuity program that pays you every month your looking for someone who will buy over time.
- If your retailing a program that has duplication and you make money from people earning income (like a network marketing company with multiple levels) then you will want to market to hard working people who have a “capacity to learn”.
I tend to market to the 3rd person.
See…. I run an affiliate program that actually pays me up front 100%, pays a top tier sale, pays a continuity sale (pays every month), and pays when people who buys form me duplicates and makes their OWN sales.
If You Are Making Money On The Internet And Not Making Over $10,000/month Maybe….
It is a function of you not targeting the right audience or not spending the right “time” with them.
I'm not talking about holding their hand but leveraging YOUR time to teach them without doing it one on one.
If you are looking to making money on the internet and especially if your only doing it part time you have to be VERY smart with your time.
Things to avoid:
- Do not sell your self short and talk to people to buy something for say $500 or less. I mean calling someone on the phone to buy something… and when I say $500 I mean what your commissions are…. not what the product sells for.
- Do not spam your people, prospects, and leads. doing this will only have you make money in the short term.
- Do not have a desperation model of marketing… if you don't know what this is… just look at HOW you approach your prospects and new leads in your marketing.
Okay… so your wondering what you SHOULD do if your looking to make money on the internet now…
Here is what I recommend…
- Value your time
- Treat people like people but understand the average person your marketing to is new but needs to be conditioned early on… example: don't tell someone who bought from you at $25/month that you are available 24/7….. are you worth $25/month for 10 hours on the phone?
- Connect with others who have been in the industry longer. You can learn a lot from someone who has been through the early growing pain stages.
So the question is: “Hey Lawrence, where can I start if I want to learn but I'm so new and on a budget?” For starters…
I would highly recommend you start to learn blogging (get your own blog for $25 so you can communicate to your prospects). My blog took me literally hundreds if not thousands of dollars and a CRAP ton of my time.
I say get to blogging here for $25 and NOT the free ones due to their TOS that can shut you down.
I did a short get together with some of my partners here about blogging -> What Does Blogging Have To Do With It?
I want be able to cover all the benefits of starting with blogging to use it to making money on the internet but that is where I started back in 2008 when I got serious.
For now…. I highly recommend you clean the garbage out of your mind and get your thoughts, and intentions right.
If your mind is full of junk or your are WANTING to stay at your dead in job… your MIND will keep you there… don't believe me? Check out all of the people who have been making $25k/year for years and complain about it…. If you complain about something CHANGE it…
Especially if you live in United States… you can educate yourself OUT of a dead in job.. it might take time but isn't that better than hating life and telling that to your friends and family year after year?
Clear Next Step
Dive in with an open mind and get going to learning how to monetize the internet and starting to making money on the internet even part time like I do.